Friday, October 5, 2012

The Serenity to Change the Things I Can by Mark Olmsted: Response


I did not like this essay because it did not speak to me and it was not very well written, in my opinion. My first issue with the paper is that it did not speak to me. I guess you cannot really call that an issue but it bugged me. Mr. Olmsted is a recovering drug addict who has never liked litter so he decided after his step into sobriety that he would start picking up litter. He now picks up litter every day and says it helps him stay clean. That’s a great story but I was never and never will be a drug addict and good for Mr. Olmsted but if I picked up trash on my dog walking route in Chicago, I would need four bags to do the area in front of my house.  The style and format of the essay is not very well written, in my opinion, because it felt more jumpy then what I think he was trying to do. He would jump between how what he does changes his life and what he is actually doing. It is by no means a bad essay just not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment