Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Speech Outline (With citations)


Preparation Outline

PREPARATION OUTLINE

NAME: _____William Schmidt_______________________ SECTION: _____017_     _____
TITLE OF SPEECH: _A Painting Is Worth a Thousand Words….. What About A Picture or Video? ____
 Be sure to label learning styles throughout.

Introduction

  I.        Attention Catcher: I love cameras but I hate myself for it. I have been to so many places and seen so many sights but all I think about while I am there is getting a picture. Do not take this the wrong cameras are amazing but they are sometimes too much.

 II.       Listener Relevance Link: Now I have plenty of problems with cameras, and I did not even know until I was enlightened to how cameras impaired my mind.

III.       Speaker Credibility: I have had a photography class before and I did pretty well, but after taking the class I realized what the camera does to us as humans.

IV.       Thesis Statement: I cannot live without cameras in my life and I doubt you can, but this is a cautionary tale.

 V.       Preview: Let me explain how cameras have changed the way we think, the way we learn, and why it scares me.

 
Body

  I.        First Main Point: How pictures change the way we think

            Listener Relevance Link: I watch the news quite a bit, and I am sure most of you do too.

            A.  Sub point: Let us take a look at how cameras have changed history

                  1.  Sub-Sub point: Anyone remember Vietnam, or at least learning about it. If so most of you know that we were doing pretty well in the war, but the Tet offensive changed all that. Pictures and videos got out showing the public the horrors of war. Within months of the public seeing those images the war was ended.

                  2.  Sub-Sub point: A little more modern example is Facebook. Most of us have one. Well how many of us have those friends on Facebook where their profile pictures are cool but in person the person is a gross… a few.

            B.  Sub point: What am I trying to get at?

                  1.  Sub-Sub point: For some reason humans can read about all the horrible atrocities in the world and maybe promise to throw a few dollars at them; when we see videos and pictures of the events we freak out and start entire movements…do you follow me?

                  2.  Sub-Sub point: Maybe it is because pictures bring to us what words cannot, or maybe we just became a society who is all about what we see. Seeing is believing

Transition: If cameras can do that to how we think, can they change how we learn…yes!


II.        Second Main Point: How cameras change how we learn

            Listener Relevance Link: I am going to take a wild guess and say most of you are visual learners (you and the rest of this generation)

            A.  Sub point: Where is my proof?

1.       Sub-Sub point: Any one in here not enjoy math. Thought so, and do you want to know why? The difference between math and every other subject is that math cannot really have pictures applied to it (except if we draw them out…which we are encouraged to do!)

2.       Sub-Sub point: Any athletes in here? How many of you would be lost if your coach wrote a critique of your performance instead of going through a video of it with you….yeah I know, crazy.

            B.  Sub point: How can I say that cameras are responsible?

                  1.  Sub-Sub point: Well look at our generation. We have videos everywhere, there would not be if they were not extremely effective at getting a point across.

                  2.  Sub-Sub point: This is also the first time in history where we can upload pictures or videos from our camera and instantaneously have it on the internet.

Transition: That sounds cool and awesome why is it worry some?


III.       Third Main Point: Why the first two points scare me.

            Listener Relevance Link: How many of you have seen the Grand Canyon. Do the pictures even come close to how it is in person?

            A.  Sub point: Cameras are giving us so much and taking away just as much too.

                  1.  Sub-Sub point: Cameras have made us think and learn differently, they make us faster.

 
2.       Sub-Sub point: But we almost rely on pictures to help us think we can no longer make the jump from a picture book to a novel (figuratively speaking of course)

            B.  Sub point: Arming ourselves with pictures (futher explain first sub point)

                  1.  Sub-Sub point: We use pictures to help us learn and think more and more. Agreed?

                  2.  Sub-Sub point: What happens when we only use pictures to learn and think, or can we even go that far?

Transition: To sum up.


Conclusion

  I.        Restatement of Thesis: I cannot live without cameras, is that a bad thing?

 II.       Summary of Main Points: Cameras change the way we think and learn, but it may not be for the best.

III.       Clincher: Now this is just my personal views…. but how many of you wanted to see pictures as proof Osama was dead, or said “dude the party was crazy just look at the pictures on facebook.”


















 
 ISToulouseHumsweb. "Vietnam - Camera at War." YouTube. YouTube, 16 Feb. 2008. Web. 27 Sept. 2012. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1izoMRu6k.
 
"Scientifically Based Research on Graphic Organizers and Visual Learning." Scientifically-based Research on Graphic Organizers and Visual Learning. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Sept. 2012. http://www.inspiration.com/Resources/Research.
 
 
"Are Smartphones Ruining Photography?" LockerGnome. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Sept. 2012. http://www.lockergnome.com/news/2012/09/22/are-smartphones-ruining-photography/.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment