Friday, November 2, 2012

Proposal


My thesis is, are we really who we act like we are on Facebook?

My documentary is aimed at anyone who has a Facebook because anyone with a Facebook can be a victim of its Schrodinger like effects. I will be interviewing at least two people asking them about whom they are and why they post what they do on Facebook. My documentary will try to get people to understand that by using Facebook the way they might it paints an unfair picture of who they are. The location of my film will take place around campus, probably in the dorms and rooms of who I interview. My shooting schedule will most likely be very sporadic but still make sense and flow nicely. The time allotted for now seems sufficient but as I start filming it may take longer, we will have to wait and see. My audience should care because this effects them and everyone they know it may make people realize that Facebook is not real life and the only way to truly know someone is to get to know them offline. My documentary will be pieced in four parts: getting to know the people, getting to know their Facebook, what others think of both, conclusions from the findings. I plan on shooting this documentary in almost a “true life” style. My shots will be more or less like this: in the first part outside, in the second indoors, the third part outside and the conclusion in a mixture of both. I want to do this because by having the first part outside it shows a more social and open view of the person. Indoors for the second part shows the person secluded and closed off view of the person. The third part being shot outside brings the documentary back to seeing other people outside, saying that real people connect with you in person not secluded in your room. I think this will be the most effective way of getting my point across that we need to disconnect and find who we really are not who we think we ought to be on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. When you said "true life" style, for some reason I imagined The Real World. Kidding aside, I think this sounds like a solid documentary. Just remember, you aren't driving this as much as your subjects are. Your work starts in the editing booth (your computer).

    ReplyDelete